Monday, November 17, 2014

Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and Squash Soup


Does the thought of grilled cheese sandwiches get you salivating? I think they are the best and have been dying to make some fancy versions with up-scale ingredients.


When Malcolm and Christie came over for lunch this past weekend I just knew they would enjoy making gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches as much as I would. And they did.  There were many yummy noises as we tried each of the four grilled cheese sandwiches we made. Everyone voted on which was their favourite and the funny thing was we each selected a different sandwich as the best. So they're all winners!


We used two types of bread - multigrain walnut bread and challa bread.  And four kinds of cheese each paired with some delicious ingredients.




I made the caramelized onions the night before as they take a ridiculously long time to cook. Have you ever made them? They are really simple, but cooking them a long time at a low temp is the key.  I chopped four onions added two tablespoons butter and cooked on low for 50 minutes until they were mouth-wateringly caramelized.




I also roasted some red peppers to use and then we set to work making our gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches. We buttered the outside of each slice of bread, added the ingredients, and broiled them in the oven.





We also had squash soup with them because grilled cheese and soup go together like a hug and a squeeze, like salt and pepper, like bread and butter ... well, you get the idea. 

I had some frozen squash on hand so used that to make the soup. I modified a recipe from Skinny Taste which tasted great. Here's my version of it:

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons curry powder
4 cups cooked squash
3 cups chicken bouillon
1 400 ml can light coconut milk
pepper to taste

Method:
1. Cook the onion, celery, and garlic in the olive oil until softened (about 10 minutes)
2. Add the spices and cook for a minute longer
3. Then add the bouillon and squash and bring to a boil.
4. Cook for about 15 minutes and then add the coconut milk.
5. Use an immersion blender and blend until smooth. 
6. Bring up to heat and serve.

When I looked at my photos that night after we had eaten our grilled cheese sandwhiches I realized about half way though a greasy finger (mine no doubt) had touched my camera lens and all the photos looked like the one below with the greasy smear on the top half of the photo. Thank heavens for Picmonkey so with careful cropping I was able to get some photos for this post.



Have you ever made gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches?  I thought they were so delicious that I had to have them again the next day for lunch. I would seriously eat them every day if I could.

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry about the smudge...I thought it was a very steamy bowl of soup! Looks like a delicious lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love gourmet grilled cheese!!! I am really into soup mode right now but I had not thought about squash soup....good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super yummy! Grilled cheese and soup is my all time favorite

    Char@marshallhousematters

    ReplyDelete